Monday, April 26, 2010

NaBloPoMo: Not so Wordless Monday


I have a bunch of NaBloPoMo to make up for since I didn't post Saturday & Sunday. So I'll be posting two NaBlo posts today and two tomorrow.
Here is the family photo taken just yesterday at my family reunion in East Texas. I am in the front bottom right with my daughter in my lap, seated crosslegged, second from right. My sister and her two kids are on the bottom left seated crosslegged. Between us are the triplets, born when I was about 10 so they're about 14 now. They are my cousins. Seated in chairs above me are the family elders. My brother and his wife are at the very back standing, center of the photo, below the lights. And tons of other family members and cousins. You may be able to click on the photo to see it enlarged. 
My maternal side of the family has lived in that area of East Texas near Huntsville since the late 1800's. My maternal grandmother, grandfather, and many other ancestral family members are buried in the cemetery there in Trinity, TX. Our family owns land and sells the lumber. Every year we meet to discuss the lumber corporation and to visit with each other. They have been doing the yearly meeting out in the woods on the family land for about 40 years but they held the meeting before that elsewhere. Its really a treasured part of my family history and I hope to pass on this tradition to my daughter.

4 comments:

Tree said...

Wow! Your family is as big as mine! LOL Great photo of all of you together.

Unknown said...

Love your family reunion photo:) I love family reunions and haven't been to one in over 20 years..now following you from BlogFrog:)

Cheryl D. said...

Hi! I'm your new follower!

Mary512 said...

Tree-Thanks, this is a very extended family. Really an ancestral family reunion.

Puanani & Cheryl-Thanks for the follow!

I was reading up on my family history last night and I was wrong- My family has been in this part of Texas since the late 1700's. Actually my great great uncle was the first white child born in Trinity proper in 1772. My moms family has been in the US since 1725-North Carolina, and Mississippi before Texas. And this part of my family line has traced their lineage all the way back to 1688 when they fled England to Scotland after the church split.
My great great great great grandfather was the youngest of 3 brothers who were left orphans in Belfast, Ireland and were later taken over to America to live with relatives who were Calhouns. Our family is related to John C Calhoun the American statesman.
I feel really lucky that my mothers family has kept such a good written family history. Its so interesting to me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails